Friday, April 22, 2011

Feesh tacos with pico de mango

This is a great dish to have during the spring and summer. The mango salsa (or pico de mango as I like to call it) really makes it perfect. You may notice the cup of white wine sangria but I am saving that recipe for another day very soon. Click "read more" for the full recipe

Ingredients (from Cook This NOT That):
–Fish of your choice (works well with salmon, tilapia and mahi-mahi)
–Finely shredded red cabbage (about 2 cups)
–Plain Greek yogurt (I <3 Oiko’s brand, I use this instead of sour cream) –Corn tortillas (2-3 per person) –Canola oil –Avocado Blackening spices: 1 tsp each of salt, black pepper, ground comino. A small pinch of cayenne, paprika, and oregano (not gonna lie, it is a little bit spicy)
Mango salsa:
–1 perfectly ripe mango, pitted and peeled
–1-2 tomatoes
–Juice of 1-2 limes
–A handful of chopped cilantro
–¼ of yellow or white onion
–(optional: red bell pepper, yellow corn)

Steps:
1) I usually make the mango salsa first and then put it in the fridge. If there aren’t any ripe mangoes, peaches or pineapple work well too! First, either sauté or soak your diced onion in salt water for about 20 minutes. This takes out the harsh onion flavor and prevents bad onion breath. Then, dice the mango and tomatoes to be about the same size chunks. I like em about 1/4-inch cubes but you may want them smaller. Mix the mango, tomatoes, chopped cilantro, sautéed onion, and limejuice into a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside or refrigerate. That’s it for the mango salsa! And it goes great with tons of other dishes or just chips.
2) Heat a grill or stovetop grill pan until hot. Lightly brush or spray the top of fish with oil. Then rub each with your spices. You can pretty much spice the fish however you’d like but I use the blackening spices because it balances out with the salsa. Just salt, pepper, and comino works for me, usually. Cook the fish, undisturbed for four minutes. Carefully flip with a spatula and cook the other side for another four minutes. It should flake easily with a fork when the fish is cooked. Remove from pan.
3) Warm tortillas on the grill for 1-2 minutes or wrap a couple in a damp paper towel and microwave for 1 minute.
4) Break up the fish and serve inside the warm tortillas. Add a sprinkle of shredded cabbage and a spoonful or two of mango salsa and a dollop of Greek yogurt to each. Serve with avocado slices if you want and a lime wedge if you like your fish extra limey like I do. De-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment