Monday, April 11, 2011

Fuggin’ FRENCH toast! (with blueberry sauce)

I don't know why but I always have a craving for French toast on Sunday mornings. And of course I quote 40-Year Old Virgin every single time. This is the classic recipe for French toast with hot blueberry sauce I have sorta modified over the years. It's also perfect before a big exam or important meeting (blueberries are brain food, in case you didn't know and the fiber from the wheat flour helps keep you full until lunch). Click "read more" for the full recipe...

Fuggin' French toast w/b-berry sauce ingredients:
For the toast:
•¼ cup flour (I use wheat flour)
•1 cup milk (skim works fine)
•1 pinch salt (for balance)
•1.5 eggs (1 whole and 1 white)
•½ tsp ground cinnamon (or more if you like it cinna-money)
•1 pinch nutmeg
•1 tsp vanilla extract
•1 tbsp brown or white sugar (I like using Splenda brown sugar for baking)
•12 slices bread (last time I used this cranberry-walnut bread from the bakery – OMG DELISH!)
•Other assorted sliced pieces of fruit or nuts (bananas, strawberries, walnuts, etc – whatever your heart desires)
For the blueberry sauce:
•1 cup frozen blueberries (I’m sure strawberries, raspberries, or blackberries will work too)
•¼ cup more brown sugar (use Splenda so you don’t feel guilty!)
Directions:
1) First, measure your flour into a mixing bowl. I like to strain it so that it doesn’t get clumpy when you add the rest of the ingredients. Then, add the milk, eggs, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, and sugar one by one, whisking throughout.
2) Put a med-sized frying pan or griddle on medium heat. After it starts to warm up, add some oil (it doesn’t need very much). Begin coating eat slice of toast in the mixture from step 1 and placing it on the pan. Flip over when the sizzling slows down. Continue flipping until the sizzling stops (you’ll know they’re cooked when they stop sizzling). Do this for each but get started on step 3 before you finish all of the toast.
3) Meanwhile, put the blueberries in a small pot set to medium heat (not too hot!) Since they’re frozen you don’t need to add water or anything. Once they start to get heated, add your sugar. Using a potato masher, lightly mash the blueberries. I don’t know the set time you would need to do this for. I say until the blueberries are evenly heated. It may boil gently and that’s perfect!
4) Serve the toast hot. Top it with the fruit or nuts and blueberry sauce. De-lish!

FUN health fact: I'm serious about blueberries being brain food! It's highly recommended to add blueberries (or other dark berries) to the list of foods you eat every single day (yes, I actually have such a list). Other brain foods are salmon, flax seed, walnuts, etc. For more brain-food info check out this link: http://www.brainready.com/blog/brain_foods_and_more.html

No comments:

Post a Comment