Friday, June 10, 2011

Prosciutto & Spinach Stuffed Chicken

Clearly I am on a pursuit to post all the different things you can do with chicken! Come to think of it, that's not a very bad idea... I got this recipe from Cook This NOT That. I made these for my parental units tonight. They said it was even better than the stuffed chicken they order at local Italian restaurants. Hehehehe... Although, I wish I could take credit for designing this deliciousness. If you're eyeballing my salad and pasta back there I will include those in the recipe. Click "read more" for the full thang.

Ingredients (for four people):
Stuffed chicken:
–Canola oil
–4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
–2 oz prosciutto, sliced
–4 cups spinach
–1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
–2 tbsp pine nuts
–Shredded mozzarella cheese (or any white cheese you'd like)
–2 eggs (one whole and one white)
–Japanese panko bread crumbs

Pasta:
–EVOO and 1 tbsp margarine
–Whole wheat cappellini pasta (I never measure that - just depends how much each person would want)
–Parmesan cheese if you so desire

Salad:
Hearts of romaine, tomatoes, avocado, sliced fresh figs and brocco sprouts. Prepare first and chill

Steps:
1) Set your pan to medium heat (preferably a medium to large pan because you will use it later to cook the stuffed chicken). Add some oil once it starts to warm up. Then, add the prosciutto slices. Cook until they start to get toastyyyy (about 1 minute). Next, add the diced red bell pepps, pine nuts, and spinach. Cook until the spinach is completely wilted (3-4 minutes). Season all with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat and set aside the contents.
2) The following is the process for stuffing the chicken:
a) Clear your cutting board slash workspace. Pat dry a chicken breast with paper towels and place in the center of your workspace.
b) Cover with plastic wrap (or put inside a gallon-sized plastic bag if you don't have any plastic wrap).
c) If you have a mallet, use it to pound the chicken until it is evenly thin. If you don't have a mallet you can use the bottom of a small plate or coffee cup (I think the small plate works best). Whichever tool you use, make sure you have a solid grip to avoid accidentally hitting a phalanx.
d) Once all chicken breasts are flattened out, season with salt and pepper.
TIP: It is best to keep your chicken breasts all close to the same size surface area and thickness in order to avoid any over- or under-cooking. This might seem silly but it's easy to overlook.
3) Grab the prosciutto-spinach-pepper-pine-nut mixture. (You can do the next steps one chicken breast at a time). Divide the mix amongst each chicken breast, placing it in the center of the widest part of each breast. Sprinkle some of your mozzarella cheese on top of each. Roll up the chicken like a burrito and secure with a toothpick. If there are "flaps" of chicken sticking out of the sides, you may slice these off with a knife. This will help keeping the stuff inside when you're cooking. ***Now would be a good time to boil a medium pot half-full with salted water for your pasta if you're making some***
4) Pour a good amount of panko bread crumbs in a shallow pan or plate. Season with salt, black pepper, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and any other Italian herbs of your choice. Crack your eggs into a small bowl and whisk with a fork. Dip each wrapped chicken into the egg mixture and then into the bread crumbs, covering evenly.
5) Wipe down the pan you used earlier and set it to medium heat again. Add about 1 tbsp of oil once it warms up. Place chicken in the pan and rotate on all sides until cooked evenly (About 10 minutes; 2 minutes each "side"). I do not suggest covering the chicks while they cook because the panko may start to burn if the surface gets too hot. You almost have to OVERCOOK these chicks. Eyeball the centers to make sure each is cooked all the way through. If they were equal size, thickness, and you cut off the flaps there shouldn't be a problem. I freak out about undercooked meat AND burning things so... Yeah. Remove from heat and top off with more shredded cheese.
***Here is where I added my pasta to the boiling water. Cappellini is thin and only takes 3-4 minutes*** When it was done boiling, I strained out all of the water and put the pasta back in the pot. In a small glass I melted a tbsp or so of butter mixed it with some EVOO in the microwave for 15 seconds. Then I whisked it well and added it to the pasta. Since we aren't using pasta sauce, all I did was add some Parmesan cheese to my pasta and ate it like that.

Overall, a very excellent dish. It felt like I should be paying $20 to eat it at a restaurant. THAT'S how good it was. The saltiness of my prosciutto somehow balances with the spinach and bell peppers. While, the pine nuts add a nice little crunch. Delizioso!!

No comments:

Post a Comment